Friday, May 16, 2008

Missing the Caribbean

Let me preface this blog by saying that I am thrilled about our upcoming week in Colorado. I'm so excited to extend our IC 08 weekend with 7 days touring the state. I'm sure CO is amazing and what we'll see and do will be memorable.

We're planning an adventurous schedule with lots of stops. The rental is gonna need an oil change and new tires by the time we return it. We're staying at four different hotels - 3 of them for 1 night only (One Night Only, that's a song from Dreamgirls. I know that only because a co-worker was obsessed with it). That's a lot of packing and unpacking of my bathroom stuff.

It's no week at the beach…at all. We kept saying we couldn't go to the beach every year, but now I'm craving sand and turquoise water. It's always about this time of year when I get antsy for a vacation. And every year I've had the Caribbean to look forward to. So right about now I'm dying for a week away from work, LA and life. And as much as I'd like to be prepping all my beach outfits, I'm instead buying hiking shoes and backpacks. I keep thinking about Biras Creek last summer. It was packed full of fun times and was 100% relaxing. No phone, tv or internet, just sand, water and good food. The closest connection we had to civilization was the 4 page abbreviated USA Today they'd give you at breakfast. I never got one - I enjoy being disconnected from the world whenever possible.

My CO fear is not getting that relaxation that the beach brings. It rejuvenates me. I'm sure CO will be great, but will I get that zen time? Will I go back to life all happy and ready for the long stretch till another vacation? I'm skeptical. And since relaxing isn't the word I'd use to describe the time off at Christmas, CO has to get me through till summer 09. Holy crap that seem a long way away.

No comments: